Multiple BMCs in a system: IPMB? Redfish? MCTP?

Thomaiyar, Richard Marian richard.marian.thomaiyar at linux.intel.com
Sun May 10 06:07:46 AEST 2020

PICMG has defined certain specifications in this angle (HPM), but those
basically uses IPMI (PICMG group extension commands)

1. Physical interface (i2c/IPMB) - IPMI

2. LAN Channel - IPMI RMCP+ other Direct stuff for say console access etc.

PICMG started working with DMTF redfish for the purpose of IPMC to IPMC
communication few years before (but not sure where it stands now)

No one solution will fit for all, and need to consider based on 1.
Features required (ssh / serial console access / SOL / KVM etc.) and 2.
Physical interface between the controller (I2C/ LAN / others?) . Nancy /
Vijay??

Say, with i2c- anything related to SSH / KVM forwarding etc is going to
be a problem, but with LAN these can be addressed.

With i2c-> IPMB / PLDM  (MCTP over smbus) (with IPMI moving out of
picture PLDM will be better alternative).

With LAN -> PLDM / Redfish. (Using Redfish has advantage over PLDM for
RDE, and still other features can be supported)

Apart from this, need to define fail-over management(PICMG defined some)
/ discovery(MCTP offers some) etc.

Regards,

Richard