openssl upgrade CVE-2020-1967

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Fri May 8 02:54:41 AEST 2020

On 5/7/20 2:43 AM, chunhui.jia wrote:
> Brad,
> There is a CVE reported in openSSL 1.1.1d (used by current openbmc).
> Severity is high.
>
> CVE-2020-1967 <https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2020-1967>
> https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2020-1967
> Server or client applications that call the SSL_check_chain() function
> during or after a TLS 1.3 handshake may crash due to a NULL pointer
> dereference as a result of incorrect handling of the
> "signature_algorithms_cert" TLS extension. The crash occurs if an
> invalid or unrecognised signature algorithm is received from the peer.
> This could be exploited by a malicious peer in a Denial of Service
> attack. OpenSSL version 1.1.1d, 1.1.1e, and 1.1.1f are affected by
> this issue. This issue did not affect OpenSSL versions prior to
> 1.1.1d. Fixed in OpenSSL 1.1.1g (Affected 1.1.1d-1.1.1f).

Thanks for reporting this.  According to OpenBMC network security
considerations [1], SSL (and specifically OpenSSL) is used in two
places: the dropbear SSH server [2] and the BMCWeb HTTPS server [3].   I
don't see any references to the defective function (SSL_check_chain) in
those code bases or in any other OpenBMC code. I've CC'd the BMCWeb
maintainers to help check this.  If that is all true, the OpenBMC is not
affected.

I believe Brad plans to update OpenBMC to the Yocto Dunfell 3.1 release
[4] which does use OpenSSL 1.1.1g [5].

- Joseph

[1]:
https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/security/network-security-considerations.md