Storing host data on the BMC

Deepak Kodihalli dkodihal at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue May 5 16:59:17 AEST 2020

On 05/05/20 12:12 pm, Sunitha Harish wrote:
> Hi Deepak,
>
> As mentioned , the Origin is the property which will be set by the host
> once the IP address is applied to its interface. Its a read-only
> property for the out-of-band user. But its a closely coupled - related
> attribute on the host setting/BIOS object.

Hi Sunitha,

What I'm trying to say is - we shouldn't make this coupling. The BIOS
settings table is a group of attributes that can alter the default
behavior of the host firmware. The Origin property you describe doesn't
fit that description.

The host "sets" several things for the BMC, for eg the host firmware can
tell us functional/presence states of FRUs which the host has access to.
Everything that the host "sets" this way isn't a BIOS attribute. Once
you decouple this, I believe we can think about options other than the
two you have suggested - since both of them involve making the Origin
property seem like a BIOS attribute, which it clearly is not.

Thanks,
Deepak