Storing host data on the BMC

Deepak Kodihalli dkodihal at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue May 5 01:56:24 AEST 2020

On 04/05/20 8:22 pm, Sunitha Harish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have some user defined host settings which we are presently keeping
> it in phosphor-settings-manager and the associated pldm bios attributes
> are there in the pldm BIOS table. Few properties in the object hosted by
> the phosphor-settings-manager are read-only for out of band but through
> in-band it can be changed.
>
> For example; the IP origin (static/dhcp) in the below commit.
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/meta-ibm/+/30205/

Is the Origin property here a host setting/BIOS attribute? I don't
believe it is. From a PLDM perspective, this is a sensor that the host
can update and notify the BMC via an event, for eg. Even if you make it
read-only, it is not a setting for the host firmware - which is what
BIOS attributes are meant for.

Thanks,
Deepak