The type of sensor value in redfish should be double or int64?

Ed Tanous ed.tanous at intel.com
Wed Oct 16 09:19:50 AEDT 2019

On 10/15/19 12:04 PM, Brad Bishop wrote:
> Is it possible to get bmcweb supporting patch with double and int?  On
> the surface this seems like the shortest path to enabling Carol.

Unless phosphor-hwmon is patched to support settable sensors, I don't
think there's a good reason to add support to bmcweb.  With that said,
it's just software, it could certainly be done.  Someone would need to
sort out how to manage the scale factor, as a Redfish PATCH request
doesn't have a concept of scale, and operates on a float, so you'd have
to do some software handholding to convert the value to something
appropriate before it was scaled to the int64.

With that said, all of this seems like a lot of work.

Just to clarify in case anyone isn't clear, the /xyz/* and /org/* type
REST handlers do support SetProperty for int and double, and introspects
the daemon to determine which one should be used.  So far as I'm aware,
the only thing non-functional is a Redfish patch of a sensor, as it's a
bit more complex to do properly.

-Ed