2.6 Release announcement - doc versioning

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Sun Feb 17 05:30:29 AEDT 2019

On 2019-02-15 12:44, krtaylor wrote:
> I have not been successful (yet) in trying to get access to our
> openbmc.org website for adding things like announcements. So, I
> created a quick release announcement on my personal blog to spread the
> great news about all the hard work that went into this release!

Thanks Kurt.  It looks great!

I got a question from someone who was looking for docs for the 2.6.0
release and for the earlier v2.3 release.  They went to the
[REST-cheatsheet][] and found guidance which had already been updated
for the planned 2.7 release.  So they were confused and frustrated
because this interface had an incompatible change (to its authentication
method).  I pointed them into the document history.

Going forward, what is the plan for documentation versioning?  We should
have a way for someone to get the documentation for a specific release
level, for example, to get the docs that apply to the 2.6.0 release.
This will become more important as we add new features and make
incompatible changes to existing interfaces.  Should the openbmc/docs
repository have the same branching or tagging as the other openbmc
repos?  Then someone can just checkout that version.

- Joseph

[REST-cheatsheet]:
https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/REST-cheatsheet.md

...snip...