Redfish Dump Service Proposal

dhruvaraj S dhruvaraj at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 16:27:15 AEDT 2019

Few comments..

On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 1:32 AM Bills, Jason M
<jason.m.bills at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> I like this as well.  I'm trying to support a CPU crashdump that would
> fit perfectly with this proposal.
>
> A question and some comments below:
>
> Will Dump only have the two types: BMC and Host?  Could this be more
> flexible to allow for multiple different types of dumps from various
> components?
+ I think dump types should be flexible to cover different types of
host or bmc dumps from different components with varying formats.

> On 12/12/2019 9:46 PM, Jayanth Othayoth wrote:
> >
> > Dump is an additional debug data associated  to an error event.
> >  From the phosphor-debug-collector  perspective,  BMC Dump collects
> > additional debug information, which canot be contained in the error log.
> > Please find my comments inline.
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 6:27 AM Richard Hanley <rhanley at google.com
> > <mailto:rhanley at google.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi Ratan,
> >
> >     I think this service is a really good idea.  A couple of thoughts:
> >
> >     1) I don't think the semantics around the Download action are
> >     consistent.  Generally actions are reserved for stateful changes,
> >     and only have post methods.  I think this could be simplified by
> >     putting an @odata.id <http://odata.id> in the Dump resource that
> >     points to the raw dump file.  Then clients can do a normal HTTP get
> >     on that URL.
> I agree.  Currently, I have crashdump as a LogService, so it is very
> easy to list and download the dumps using the standard
> LogService/LogEntry resources.
>

> >     2) I'm wondering what is the best way to communicate what MIME type
> >     the raw dump supports.  In theory that could be a part of the
> >     RawDump resource.  However, a case could be made that it should be
> >     put into the Dump resource.
> >
> >     3) Perhaps the dump service should be embedded into other resources,
> >     instead of being a top level service.  I'm imagining something like
> >     how the LogService is setup.  That way there are a lot fewer
> >     dumpTypes for any particular instance of the service.
> >         a) This could be taken to the extreme, and the DumpService could
> >     be integrated with the existing LogServices.  This would mean adding
> >     in a new log type, and having a new action >
> >     +Agree with this suggestion to embedding dump under log service as
> >     new EventType.  Also need an association  for each system generated
> >     dump with an error event.
> Yes.  I think it would be better to integrate with the existing
> LogServices.  The existing resources already provide a lot of what is
> needed, so we can leverage that.
+Agree with integrating dump under LogService, The id of the dump can be
unique to dump type, so something like Dumps/<DumpType>/<id>?

> The idea that I'm currently using is instead of providing the dump
> content directly in the LogEntry, it provides a URI where the dump can
> be downloaded.  I was thinking of proposing to add a "Uri" property or
> EntryType to LogEntry to support this.  That would allow many different
> types of dump data to be included without having to specify the content
> (similar to how the MessageRegistryFile and JsonSchemaFile resources
> work today, perhaps defining a DumpFile).
>
> With support for LogService, the DumpService would really only need to
> add support for the "Create" action and all logs would be available
> under the corresponding dump LogService.
>
> For the asynchronous create, the Redfish Task Monitor seems like the
> right solution to handle the dump as a long-running task.  That way the
> create command can immediately return and provide the Task Monitor to
> track completion.
+Yes, for some types of long-running dump tasks, the dump id may not be
available immediately, The  response body with the dump id can be returned
once the operation is completed successfully.