*Request For Feedback*: TimeOwner in phosphor-timemanager

vishwa vishwa at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Dec 11 20:54:26 AEDT 2019

On 12/11/19 12:17 AM, Pine, Kathryn ElaineX wrote:

> >*Do we need this going forward ?*: I am being asked by UX team about
> the need of this and I mentioned I would get the community feedback on
> this. Although, I feel this level of granularity gives control over
> how we can manage time, it would not justify the complexity if the
> customers don't appreciate it. Removing the TimeOwner would make the
> code a lot simpler.
>
> Hi,
>
> I am coming from the UX side of how we set the date time settings page
> up for phosphor-webui downstream recently. We switched our page to use
> Redfish, here’s how ours is set up now:
>
> There is no longer a “time owner” and the setting is either:
>
> NTPEnabled: true or false
>
> If false, we are not allowing the user to set the time, because the
> BMC is synching from the host time and therefore any settings we made
> to the time on the BMC would be overwritten.
>
> If true, we use the NTP server(s) the user provides.
>
> We are testing this currently.

Hi, Thank you for the response. From what I interpreted:

- TimeOwner is not settable via GUI
- Irrespective of NTP setting, the user is not allowed to set the time
on BMC
- BMC is syncing the time from Host.
    - This means, the current TimeOwner is "Host" and NTP is off. Is
that being set as default ?

I am requesting for feedback from the community on the need of TimeOwner
feature that we have in Settings and timemanager code.

!! Vishwa !!