[EXTERNAL] Re: BMC update via TFTP

Bonnie Lo/WYHQ/Wiwynn Bonnie_Lo at wiwynn.com
Wed Dec 11 15:56:41 AEDT 2019

Dear Joseph,

In my understanding, the BMC firmware update flow is as below:
1. Trigger reboot
2. Systemd stop all service
3. Unmount file system
4. image is in /run/initramfs
5. Do the flashcp command to update the flash

If there is any misunderstanding, please correct me.

Based on the discussion with Neeraj.
We want to be able to update BMC firmware without having to trigger the BMC reboot command before the system do flashcp command.
It means that we can do the flashcp first. If the flashcp command complete and success, then we do the reset manually.
Is it workable on current upstream code?
If not, why? I means is there any advantage to trigger the reboot before we do the flashcp.

Thanks,
Bonnie