Qemu tree for ASPEED testing

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Tue Oct 23 06:53:31 AEDT 2018

Hello Cedric,

OpenBMC CI runs the flash image on a Qemu Romulus machine type. Recent
changes cause this to fail to boot to a prompt, as it is booting
really slowly causing services to timeout and crash, which causes
further timeouts, etc.

I think we suggested at the OpenBMC meetup in Amsterdam that we
recommend using upstream Qemu for general testing and CI, as it
supports most features that developers working on the BMC require.
Booting the kernel works great, but the userspace doesn't fare so
well.

This week's dev-4.18 changes make it much worse (I suspect the timer
bugfix). I did some testing:

 - v3.0.0 tag: fail
 - upstream master (b312532fd034): fail
 - openbmc/qemu (c69dbf6af2c1): fail
 - legoater/qemu aspeed-3.1 (0652f2642195): pass

What would you recommend?

What do we need to get upstream from your tree to have 3.1 work well?

Cheers,

Joel