Proposal to Sync BMC's MAC Address to U-Boot environment

Alexander A. Filippov a.filippov at yadro.com
Thu Nov 29 00:27:46 AEDT 2018

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 06:03:37PM +0530, Ratan Gupta wrote:

> On 28/11/18 2:50 PM, Alexander A. Filippov wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 11:05:32AM +0530, Ratan Gupta wrote:
> > > Hi Alexander,
> > >
> > > We only restart the systemd-networkd during change of macAddress, if the
> > > interface is DHCP Enabled.BMC should get new IP from the DHCP server if the
> > > mac address has got changed. Do you still see a issue?
> > Yes, and because by default is used DHCP and MAC address is randomly generated,
> > it happens always at first boot or after resetting to the manufactured settings.
> Do you mean to say that we shouldn't restart the systemd-networkd even mac
> address is getting changed? I think we should get the new IP as the mac
> address is changed.

Sure, I understand that we can't change MAC address without a restart of
the network interface.

But I think there are too many these restarts.
It happens when the default config for the network interface was generated,
then after MAC address was changed...

Time to time I see other restarts depended by some actions in ipmi.
I'm not sure what is it. It's maybe our internal stuff.

And second thing, why we want to move the changing of the MAC address to
the u-boot - it's the possibility to receive the valid IP address from DHCP
at early stages.

--
Cheers,
Alexander