BMC Image Signing Proposal

Vernon Mauery vernon.mauery at linux.intel.com
Wed May 23 04:28:24 AEST 2018

On 22-May-2018 08:30 AM, Vernon Mauery wrote:
>On 22-May-2018 02:46 PM, Lei YU wrote:
>>On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 5:02 AM, Vernon Mauery
>><vernon.mauery at linux.intel.com> wrote:

>>>As far as the update methods go, just using a descriptive payload goes a
>>>long way. Historically, using a manifest type thing that told the update
>>>mechanism which bytes to write to where was pretty simple and very
>>>effective. The update mechanism would check the authenticity of the payload
>>>before trusting the manifest, but then the manifest and payload would all
>>>get written to the flash. This was for specific flash offsets and did not
>>>fully comprehend the notion of A/B or other redundant scenarios, so all the
>>>offsets were relative.
>>>
>>>But doing something in the manifest so simple as this would work for a
>>>variety of scenarios:
>>>
>>>MANIFEST:
>>>purpose=xyz.openbmc_project.Software.Version.VersionPurpose.BMC
>>>version=v2.2-32-gc6712d3-dirty
>>>KeyType=OpenBMC
>>>HashType=RSA-SHA256
>>>
>>># Expected is a list of files alongside the manifest
>>>Expected=part1,part2,part3,partN
>>>
>>>update_pre=<target to activate prior to fwupdate>
>>>
>>># obmc-flash-bmc-by-name knows where to place this part by name
>>># (e.g. u-boot always goes at 0x00000000)
>>>part1_update=obmc-flash-bmc-by-name at .service
>>>
>>># obmc-flash-bmc-at-offset places a part at a fixed offset
>>># optionally relative to an optionally specified MTD partition
>>># (default relative to /dev/mtd0)
>>>part2_update=obmc-flash-bmc-at-offset at .service 0x130000
>>># (default relative to /dev/mtd0)
>>>part3_update=obmc-flash-bmc-at-offset at .service 0x130000
>>>
>>># not a ubi person, so I can't comment on all the options :)
>>>part4_update=obmc-flash-bmc-ubi at .service
>>>
>>>partN_update=<service for updating partN>
>>>update_post=<target to activate post fwupdate>
>>
>>This is interesting, and it looks like a general method for code updating to
>>support both non-ubi and ubi layout. (Though it would require code changes in
>>phosphor-software-manager).

One other thought I had was that we could make the manifest a JSON file
which makes for very simple parsing (since the parser is already
written).  Then we could go with something like this:

{
	'purpose': 'xyz.openbmc_project.Software.Version.VersionPurpose.BMC',
	'version': 'v2.2-32-gc6712d3-dirty',
	'KeyType': 'OpenBMC',
	'HashType': 'RSA-SHA256',
	'ImageParts': [
		'part1': {
			'update': {
				'service': 'obmc-flash-bmc-at-offset at .service','
				'args': [ 0x130000 ]
			}
		},
		'part2': {
			'update': {
				'service': 'obmc-flash-bmc-at-offset at .service','
				'args': [ '/dev/mtd/image-a', 0x80000 ]
			}
		},
		'part3': {
			'update': {
				'service': 'obmc-flash-bmc-ubi at .service',
			}
		}
	]
}

This makes it very clear what all the bits mean. We would need to
document the format of the JSON very clearly and define behavior for
malformed structures, but I like this better than just a key/value flat
text file.

--Vernon