Question on States monitoring

Lei YU mine260309 at gmail.com
Tue May 15 11:57:57 AEST 2018

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 9:53 AM, Andrew Jeffery <andrew at aj.id.au> wrote:
> Hi Lei,
>
> On Tue, 15 May 2018, at 11:19, Lei YU wrote:
>> Hi Andres,
>>
>> The existing [phosphor-gpio-monitor][1] contains two services, one is for
>> monitor gpio interrupts, the other is "phosphor-gpio-presence" that checks a
>> gpio output and let it be some state on DBus.
>>
>> I guess the "presence" service is what you are looking for, that maps a
>> gpio output to a Dbus object.
>>
>> The existing use case is:
>> 1. Witherspoon checks if power supply is connected and create dbus object
>>    /inventory/system/chassis/motherboard/powersupplyX, it also is able to
>>    bind the kernel driver when it is attached.
>> 2. Zaius checks if a PCIE card is connected on E2B and create dbus object
>>    /inventory/system/chassis/pcie_card_e2b
>>
>> You can see a little detailed explanation at
>> https://github.com/mine260309/openbmc-intro/blob/master/Porting_Guide.md#gpio-presence
>
> That porting guide looks like it has some interesting info, and I feel like we should probably make it part of the docs repository. Did you have any plans on integrating it?

Yup, I will submit to openbmc/doc (when it's somehow ready).

This doc is my attempt to help system vendors to know OpenBMC and get it
ported on their machine.
And for now I have sent this to 2 or 3 vendors and ask for feedback.

It's not completed yet as I need to add one more page for some development
tips, e.g. how to quickly modify a code and get it tested.