Proposals for commit log policy

Gunnar Mills gmills at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Aug 23 01:01:33 AEST 2018

Hi Alexander,

On 8/21/2018 7:29 AM, Alexander Amelkin wrote:
> Thankfully, for linux-obmc version bumps Patrick Williams and Joel Stanley do a great job by including the 'git shortlog' output. Unfortunately, not everyone is following this rule for bumps.
The autobump tool is here:
https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc-tools/blob/master/infra/autobump.pl
Could you enhance to have the ‘git shortlog’ in the commit message?
> Now for item 1, it would be great if we could have a mandatory "End-user-impact" line/section, like these added to the following real commits:

I really oppose another field/section in each commit. We already have a
"tested" field. What happens when someone else wants a field for what
systems this commit effects? This might be a bad example but hopefully,
you see my point. :)

- Gunnar