Call for maintainers

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Wed Oct 4 16:56:02 AEDT 2017

On Mon, 2017-10-02 at 20:52 -0500, Chris Austen wrote:
> The OpenBMC Project is looking for future maintainers. The amount of
> code now and expected in the near future will be more then any one
> person can continually handle. If you are a subject matter expert in
> a repo under https://github.com/openbmc or cross functional areas
> then taking on a role of maintainer might be appealing. This isn't a
> paid thing, this is completely voluntary opportunity (think Scouts
> without the camping or School volunteer without glue).
>
> So how might you go about getting this type of role on your resume?
> Start by signing up for code reviews  https://gerrit.openbmc-
> project.xyz/#/q/status:open. Over the next few weeks we will be
> looking over the reviews for 1) understanding of the components
> architecture 2) Comments focusing on architecture that satisfies the
> needs of all 3) bugs 4) and more. Try to Focus on a single project.

So these kinds of people were documented a while back in the
MAINTAINERS file in the docs repo:

https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/MAINTAINERS

The patch went through some reviews, so it should be used as an input
into the decision process even if some aren't active reviewers (they
still could be domain-experts worth listening to). The file might not
be up-to-date but we should fix it. I also feel like it's a bit
disconnected living in openbmc/docs as opposed to openbmc/openbmc.

But backing up a moment, who are the people who will be looking over
the reviewers and making decisions? Are there some kind of guidelines
for thresholds, or will it just be gut instinct on the decision-maker's
part? I think it would be helpful to be as transparent as possible
here.

Cheers,

Andrew