[openbmc] Adding new recipe qa error

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Fri Oct 14 00:25:00 AEDT 2016

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 01:07:30PM +0000, Arjun Padmanabhan wrote:
> As an alternative way, I am adding a custom recipe which includes my application. Application folder structure includes cross-compiled *.a and *.so.
>
> I am getting following errors while do_package_qa().
>

> -          Mycode-1.0-r0 do_package_qa: QA Issue: non -staticdev package contains static .a library ...............
>
> -          Mycode-1.0-r0 do_package_qa: QA Issue:No GNU_HASH in elf binary .......................
>
> -Is there any way to include static library in my recipe to openbmc image by getting past qa issue?
>
> -Is there a way to skip GNU_HASH check in so files which is in my custom development recipe?
>
> -          A way I found while searching through google was to add export LD="${LD} --hash-style=gnu" before compiling my binaries. Is there any other way where I can disable GNU_CHECK for my recipe?

Generally speaking, Yocto prefers you to use bitbake itself to build
your package.  Rather than your recipe pointing to a pre-compiled set of
binaries, your recipe should point to your source and then build it
directly.

The "QA Issue: non -staticdev pacakge..." issue is a valid issue and one
you should not disable.  It does not make sense to put a .a file onto an
installed package on your target because you do not compile and link
programs on your target.  There is no way to use a .a file on the target
so it shouldn't be in your recipe.

It sounds like you might be missing one of the general bbclasses that
you should be importing.  This would create packages within your recipe,
such as ${PN}-staticdev where all *.a files would be automatically
placed.

The GNU_HASH check is also likely valid.  You need to make sure that
your precompiled binaries, if you continue to go that route, are
compiled with the same flags as the rest of the recipes.

--
Patrick Williams