MTD partitions missing

garazi juez uriagereka garazi85 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 11 22:22:03 EST 2010

Hello,

I am Garazi and I am
working  in the Electronic Design Group at the University of the
Basque Country.

I'm running the Xilinx git kernel 2.6.31
from git.xilinx.com on a V5 PPC440 CORE( Xilinx ML507). We have a NOR CFI
flash device.

Flash chip has been particionated according to
this table:

  START ADDRESS

  OFFSET

  SIZE

  LINUX

  0xFE000000

  0x00000000

  0x00500000 (5M)

  JFFS2 Filesystem

  0xFE500000

  0x00500000

  0x01600000 (22M)

  UNUSED

  0xFFB00000

  0x01B00000

  0x00114000(4896 K)

  LOADER

  0xFFFE0000

  0x01FE0000

  0x00020000(128K)

In order to get this four partitions, my .dts file has been
configured this way:

bootargs =
"console=ttyS0 ip=on root=/dev/ram rw

mtdparts=fe000000.flash:5M(zImage),22M(rootfs),4896k(unused),128k(loader)";

First
of all, linux kernel was booted from Flash, using a ramdisk for the
flash system and a loader , and it worked.

Now, I am trying to
mount JFFS2 file system but I can not. I have tried it in two
different ways:
1. Mounting JFFS2 file system when  the
kernel has already booted.
2. Changing my dts file and mounting JFFS2
automatically when kernel boots.

bootargs =
"console=ttyS0 ip=on root=/dev/mtdblock1 rw  rootfs=jffs2

mtdparts=fe000000.flash:5M(zImage),22M(rootfs),4896k(unused),128k(loader)";

guess that the problem is related to MTD driver, because mtd
partitions are not correctly created. I check partition file and just one of four partition appears
(cat  /proc/partitions --> mtdblock0 just
appears).

I have read in the Internet that there are other
people who have had the same problem when they have updated 2.6.28
kernel to 2.6.31 kernel. Although, there is no answer.

I would appreciate any kind of help.

Regards,

Garazi