Porting a driver to powerpc using FDT

Chris Alfred c.alfred at internode.on.net
Thu Jun 17 14:25:00 EST 2010

>>> That means the node is not being used to register an of_device. I
>>> need some more information to suggest how best to fix this.
>>
>>> What SoC are you using?
>>> What file in arch/powerpc/platforms/* is used to setup your
>>> machine?
>>
>> We are using the MPC5200. Very similar to the Lite5200.
>
> So you're board is driver by
> arch/powerpc/platforms/52xx/mpc5200_simple.c then?

The Lite5200 is based on arch/powerpc/platforms/52xx/lite5200.c

We have only done a text search/replace lite5200 to jkc5200.
Based on your email, we have now also changed fsl,jkc5200n8 to
jkc,jkc5200n8

> As mentioned, drop the reg property and be more specific in the
> compatible value.

Done, changed fsl,jkc5200n8 to jkc,jkc5200n8

> If you do the
> following, then it should start working:
>
> virtual-devices {
>         compatible = "simple-bus";
>         dsa {
>               compatible = "<vendor>,jkc5200n8-dsa";
>         };
> };

Where did "simple-bus" come from?

Did you mean "mpc5200-simple-platform" from:

    define_machine(mpc5200_simple_platform) {
     .name  = "mpc5200-simple-platform",

    };

> You can look under /sys/devices to see if your device actually gets
> registered or not.

Not there unfortunately, and probe is still not called.

Regards,
Chris