Help, please... Multi-Media Distro for PPC?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 11:30:42 EST 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 07:33:24AM -0700, skateaboard wrote:

>Ok so I'm really new to this but a single line answer will do, like "One of
>the best and noob friendly PPC Multi media distributors would be _________."
>
>What I have:
>A PPC ibook G3 laptop
>
>What I need help with:
>Finding a linux based multi-media workstation
>
>Why:
>I really want to become more savvy with linux and I need this element added
>to my physical studio's repertoire. My artist studio needs a computer
>workstation and linux seems the best way for me to go.
>
>Specifically:
>I've been searching around the web for a while now and have not yet found a
>PPC optimized(or even kind-of) distro for a multi-media studio for PPC based
>macs. I need some sort of:
>-image, video, audio editing and layering software package.
>
>So, Does this even exist? I've seen "Umbutu Studio"; that seems to do the

I don't think you are going to find any distro that will work sufficiently
well on that class of hardware to do what you are attempting.  A G3 is pretty
old...

I don't know how much RAM and what CPU you have, but the only base distros I
know of that would work there are probably gentoo, debian, or for a long shot
Fedora.

josh