image/wrapper script questions

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 28 04:31:55 EST 2009

Dear Eddie Dawydiuk,

In message <4A6DDF80.209 at embeddedarm.com> you wrote:

> I'm working on a custom board using an AMCC 440EP that is using a proprietary
> bootloader(optimized for fast boot time). Currently our bootloader loads a
> simpleImage.initrd into RAM and jumps into it. I originally chose to use a
> simpleImage with an initial ramdisk embedded because it was the simplest
> solution to debug the hardware and get a kernel and initial ramdisk running for
> development. For production I would prefer to put the initial ramdisk on it's

Hm... isn't that an oxymoron? Trying to optimize  for  speed  on  one
hand, and using an initrd which is one of the slowest ways to boot on
the other hand?

> Thanks for any suggestions :)

Use another file system (and another fstype) and separate it from the
kernel image.

See also http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/RootFileSystemSelection

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are.