AW: How to set DDR data bus width to 16Bit

Norbert van Bolhuis nvbolhuis at aimvalley.nl
Thu Jul 2 20:30:56 EST 2009

Hi Frank,

Yes, it's 0xC3100000 for 16 bit. I showed the 32bit value.

Yes, to go to 16 bit bus-width (1 DDR(2) device), this is the only
change needed in u-boot, assuming you have 2 DDR(2) devices (like 8313E-RDB)
which together provide 16+16 = 32bit bus-width.

Since, surprisingly, the 16 bit application/u-boot performance was almost as
good as 32 bit we even tested with I-cache and D-cache turned off.
u-boot provides commands for this (which I didn't know, see some previous
emails from me on this mailing-list).
Also with I-cache and D-cache turned off the 16 bit bus-width performance was
almost as good as 32 bit. So our conclusion was that the 16/32 bit DDR2 memory
access is not the limiting factor when it comes to "SW performance".
Therefore we decided to go for 16 bit bus-width for a new/tiny 8313 based
design.

Please let me know your test results. I would expect you to conclude more
or less the same.

Best Regards,
Norbert.