Tickless Hz/hrtimers/etc. on PowerPC

Matt Sealey matt at genesi-usa.com
Fri Jul 13 06:08:25 EST 2007

Sergei Shtylyov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Matt Sealey wrote:
>
>> And I don't want to run -rt or wireless-dev for the benefit of a single
>
>    BTW, the latest -rt has has been also released in the broken out form
> (at last!) which has "PPC gtod and highres support" section in its
> series file.

Hm okay.

>> feature. What I am after is something like Ingo Molnar throws out..
>
>    One 1.5 Megabyte patch?! Bleh... thanks goodness he (or Thomas) has
> finally changed his mind about this. :-)

Good point, but at least it was nice and self-contained and not mindlessly
interdependant on other minor fixes. I think if you are going to patch in
a feature that feature should be a feature. Not 8 bugfixes and 8 seperate
minifeatures which cooperate to bring in a whole, especialy as a lot of
them are so interdependant that they would not have any effect or maybe
even break things on their own :)

>> single patches done the old way, not git trees. It's so much easier to
>> handle and integrate for example into a Gentoo ebuild or to make a
>> tarball of accumulated patches from a certain release kernel.
>
>    This also can become a nightmare if you intend to pick up some later
> fixes only.

Indeed, but you trade off one for the other in everything :)

--
Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com>
Genesi, Manager, Developer Relations