Document and implement an improved flash device binding for powerpc (v4)

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Fri Aug 31 03:29:33 EST 2007

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 11:21:18AM +1000, David Gibson wrote:
> +    For JEDEC compatible devices, the following additional properties
> +    are defined:
> +
> +     - vendor-id : Contains the flash chip's vendor id (1 byte).
> +     - device-id : Contains the flash chip's device id (1 byte).

Are these required, or recommended?

> +    In addition to the information on the flash bank itself, the
> +    device tree may optionally contain additional information
> +    describing partitions of the flash address space.  This can be
> +    used on platforms which have strong conventions about which
> +    portions of the flash are used for what purposes, but which don't
> +    use an on-flash partition table such as RedBoot.
> +
> +    Each partition is represented as a sub-node of the flash device.
> +    Each node's name represents the name of the corresponding
> +    partition of the flash device.

Hmm...  I'm not thrilled with using the node name for this.  For one, the
node name usually functions more as a node type than a label.  It also
means that spaces can't be used in the name, which is fairly common for
existing partition maps.

This might be a good time to introduce a standard "label" property.

-Scott