SuSE Rage 128 Xserver Source and XFree 3.3.6

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Sat Oct 23 02:04:19 EST 1999

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Kevin_Hendricks wrote:
> >So is the Rqge 128 driver stuff already in 3.9.16 ?
>
> According to the list of Xservers given on the XFree86 org page, it is NOT
> included.  They have completely restructured Xservers for that release.  Now
> they all start with the base Xserver while calls up various shared-libraries to
> handle driver specifics / acceleration, etc.
>
> Given XFree86 policy of not releasing source, (according to their website they
> specifically request that people *not* join just to get access to pre-release
> source).  I hope SuSE simply just posts the source.

In this case people don't join `just to get access to pre-release source', but
`to port it to PPC'. That's real development, so I see no problems with joining
XFree86.

> This whole process simply makes no sense.  Why give development source only to a
> body that can not release it for others?  Not exactly using the strength of the
> free software movement?

Those can make time-limited beta binaries.

I don't like it that much neither, and many agree with the not-liking. That's
why there exist 3.9.x snapshots...

Greetings,
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP} -- geert at linux-m68k.org

							    -- Linus Torvalds