Argo UML and LinuxPPC

Randall R Schulz rrschulz at cris.com
Tue Oct 12 15:02:16 EST 1999

Ian,

I just downloaded this program myself and haven't yet worked with it.
However, here are a few relevant facts:

- There are two current versions of Argo/UML available: 0.5.2 and
0.7. 0.5.2 is a stable production release, 0.7 is still beta /
pre-release.

- Version 0.5.2 requires you have JDK 1.1.x (x >= 7; JDK 1.2.x is not
supported) and the separately installed Swing. Note, too, that you
*must* use Swing 1.0.3 and *must not* use Swing 1.1.1. Swing 1.1.1,
though basically an upwardly compatible upgrade in concept, cannot be
freely substituted into Java programs written for 1.0.3 because the
names of the packages in which the Swing classes reside was changed.

- I note that when I retrieved all the LinuxPPC Java files (both
1.1.8 and 1.2.1) that the JDK 1.1.8 files included Swing 1.1.1 only.
I don't believe there's anything special about Swing itself (Swing,
per se, is 100% Pure Java, so you should be able to just go to Sun's
JFC site and download JFC 1.1 / Swing 1.0.3 (see
<http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/index.html>. To download this
version, visit <http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/download-103.html>)
and use its swingall.jar file in your CLASSPATH when running Argo/UML.

- Version 0.7 works with either JDK 1.1.x (x >= 7) or JDK 1.2.x.
Since JDK 1.2 / JRE 1.2 include Swing, it need not be separately
installed. If you're using JDK 1.1.x, you still need Swing 1.0.3 and
all the previous caveats for Argo/UML v0.5.2 still apply.

As I said, I haven't worked with this software yet, so what I'm
telling you is based on what's indicated on the Argo/UML site and my
own knowledge of Java and Swing, such as it is. When I've had a
chance to give some of this a try, I'll pass on any further pointers
I come up with.

Good luck.

Randy Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA