[v6 2/4] dt-bindings: hwmon: Add ASPEED TACH Control documentation

Guenter Roeck linux at roeck-us.net
Tue Jul 18 16:54:26 AEST 2023

On 7/17/23 23:39, Thierry Reding wrote:

>>> Hi Krzysztof,
>>>
>>> This is because the register layout for PWM and Tach is not continuous.
>>> Each PWM/Tach instance has its own set of controller registers, and they
>>> are independent of each other.
>>
>> Register layout is not continuous in many other devices, so again - why
>> this must be different?
>>

>>> For example:
>>> PWM0 uses registers 0x0 and 0x4, while Tach0 uses registers 0x8 and 0xc.
>>> PWM1 uses registers 0x10 and 0x14, while Tach1 uses registers 0x18 and 0x1c.
>>>
>>> To separate the PWM controller part from the fan inputs, Guenter has
>>> provided two methods.
>>> The first method involves passing the memory region from an MFD
>>> driver, which was the
>>
>> I have no clue how can you pass memory region
>> (Documentation/devicetree/bindings/reserved-memory/) from MFD and why
>> does it make sense here.
>>
>>> initial method I intended to use. However, it seems that this method
>>> does not make sense to you.
>>>
>>> Therefore, I would like to explore the second method suggested by
>>> Guenter, which involves providing
>>> a sequence of address mappings.
>
> At the risk of saying what others have said: given that there's a single
> reset line and a single clock line controlling all of these channels and
> given what I recall of how address demuxers work in chips, everything
> indicates that this is a single hardware block/device.
>
> So the way that this should be described in DT is:
>
> 	pwm at 1e610000 {
> 		reg = <0x1e610000 0x100>;
> 		clocks = ...;
> 		resets = ...
> 	};
>
> That'd be the most accurate representation of this hardware in DT. It is
> then up to the driver to expose this in any way you see fit. For Linux
> it may make sense to expose this as 16 PWM channels and 16 hardware
> monitoring devices. Other operating systems using the same DT may choose

It is single chip. It should be a single hardware monitoring device with
16 channels. I don't even want to think about the mess we'd get if people
start modeling a single chip as N hardware monitoring devices, one for
each monitoring channel supported by that chip. It would be even more messy
if the driver supporting those N devices would be marked for asynchronous
probe, which would result in random hwmon device assignments.

> to expose this differently, depending on their frameworks, etc. A simple
> operating system may not expose this as separate resources at all but
> instead directly program individual registers from this block.
>
> I'd also like to add that I think trying to split this up into multiple
> drivers in Linux is a bit overkill. In my opinion, though I know not
> everyone shares this view, it's perfectly fine for one driver to expose
> multiple types of resources. There's plenty of use-cases across the
> kernel where tightly coupled devices like this have a single driver that
> registers with multiple subsystems. Going through MFD only because this
> particular hardware doesn't split registers nicely along Linux subsystem
> boundaries.
>
> So FWIW, I'm fine carrying hwmon code in a PWM driver and I'm equally
> fine if PWM code ends up in a hwmon driver (or any other subsystem
> really) if that makes sense for a given hardware.

I am fine either way as well, as long as we are talking about a single
hwmon device and not 16 of them.

Guenter