[Lguest] lguest on mips?

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Thu Nov 1 08:00:29 EST 2007

--
On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Glauber de Oliveira Costa wrote:

> On 10/31/07, Catalin Morosan <catalin.morosan at gmail.com> wrote:

> > i was thinking of porting lguest on mips.

That would have been a project I would have loved to do (I loved working
on mips). But now I'm just too busy and don't have anymore mips boards
around.

> That's awesome!
>
> > is it doable/worthwhile?

> I know a lot the MIPS ISA, but just the  user part. Nothing about the
> privileged instructions. I think Rostedt knows it in more deep, and
> can provide more useful comments on this
>
> However, as lguest is purely paravirtualization, there should be
> nothing undoable here. You just have to identify the privileged
> operations, and stop the guest from doing them - by exchanging them
> for hypercalls. And also, being able to write  a mechanism for
> switching between guests.
>
> As if it is worthwhile... that's up to you! ;-)

I can't think of any gotcha's off the top of my head. It's been several
years since I've worked with MIPS.  There may be some funniness with the
way MIPS addresses memory. But I'm not sure. I'll have to think about it.

-- Steve