[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 Linux boot loader discussions

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Thu Jan 18 20:00:43 EST 2007

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, YAEGASHI Takeshi wrote:
> Hiroyuki Machida wrote:
> > I'd like to focus on minimum requirements to support bootable removable media.
> > I summarised as follows. Is there any objections?
>
> How about telling the booting kernel which device or filesystem
> it comes from (with boot parameters?)?  It would be useful
> especially when many memory cards or USB storage devices with
> kboot.conf are plugged.
>
> I have no concrete idea about the spec.  Probably it cannot use
> Linux's device node names or major/minor numbers for that
> purpose since they would vary between kernels and versions.  Any
> other useful methods?

You can use file system labels (assumed not everyone calls their `/' or `BOOT')
or UUIDs?

FYI, right now kboot mounts the file system with label `/'.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe (NSCE)
Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com ------- The Corporate Village, Da Vincilaan 7-D1