[Cbe-oss-dev] kboot no longer working after firmware 2.10 upgrade

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Wed Dec 19 08:53:35 EST 2007

David Arendt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after uprading to firmware 2.10 kboot stopped working. Everything I get on
> again is pressing power for 5 seconds.
> the kboot image I am using is the following:
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/CELL-Linux-CL_20071023-ADDON/PS3/otheros/otheros.bld
> I also tried reinstalling the kboot image but with the same result.
>
> Any ideas ?

A frame buffer bug was introduced into the ps3-linux.git tree
on Aug 17th.  It was fixed Dec 17th.  Any kernels with this bug
will not boot on firmware 2.10.  The bug only effects systems with
firmware 2.10 (and later).  The bug is not hit with older firmware.

This is the fix:

  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux-patches.git;a=blob;f=ps3-wip/ps3fb-fix-gpu-cmd-buff-size-2.10.diff;hb=HEAD

The kernel sources used for CELL-Linux-CL_20071023-ADDON has this bug.

This older version of kboot should work:

  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/kboot-20070831.bld

You'll most likely need to update your installed (second stage)
kernel also.

Sorry for any inconvenience.