[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 performance analysis - errors on loading cellperfctr module

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Wed Dec 12 15:24:08 EST 2007

On 12/11/2007 04:06 PM, Carl Love wrote:
> I do not believe you will get OProfile to work on the PS3.  It is my
> understanding that the PS3 processor is shipped in with the hardware
> security enabled.  The hardware security disables the reading of the
> program counter.  It is part of the hardware security features to
> prevent the reverse engineering of an application.  So, the fact that
> the hypervisor support is not there really doesn't matter.  You will
> need a PS3 system that does not have the hardware disabled.

The PS3's LV1 hypervisor has provided a performance monitoring
interface since firmware 1.00, released with the original
2006.11.11 units.  It has facilities sufficient to do most common
profiling operations.

What has been lacking has been the release of some Linux kernel
support, which Yamamoto-san has done recently.