[c-lightning] [RFC] Feature request for a donation/tipping section in coffee manifest

Vincenzo Palazzo vincenzopalazzodev at gmail.com
Wed May 3 00:39:45 AEST 2023

Hello List,

I would like to start a discussion about a potential feature
that could greatly benefit the Coffee [1] community by fixing a problem
we currently have in our plugin ecosystem: the lack of donation options
for plugin developers.

I have been thinking about this for a long time, but I always
got caught up in building the tools that I needed for my ideas.
Now that I have the necessary tools, I am excited about developing
the plugin manager.

As you may know, the Coffee plugin manifest already provides us with
a powerful tool to manage information regarding plugins and generic binaries
in the near future. However, I believe that adding a tipping or donation
section with a Bolt 12 could be a valuable addition.

Specifically, I envision a system where a plugin could receive donations
and split them among other developers. For example, the Folgore
plugin has a Bolt 12 to receive donations and split them as follows:

- Folgore [2]: 35%
- Cln4rust: 35%
- And so on

What are your thoughts on this? Do you have any ideas on
how to improve the design of this feature?

[1] https://github.com/coffee-tools/coffee
[2] https://github.com/coffee-tools/folgore

Cheers!

Vincent.