[Auugps] History of Unix Software Development Centre, NEC Information Systems Australia.

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Tue Sep 6 14:33:57 AEST 2022

I’m particularly interested in how Linux was taken up mid-1990’s by large Corporates.

Linus released Linux 1.0 in 1994 when he finished his Masters, but before then, there was a very active Linux user & development community.

I’m trying to understand, “Why Linux?” [ vs other Unix variants already in use and well developed ]

Was Linux a ’skunkworks’ project that arose organically, or was did it become a ’strategic’ direction supported from the top?

I knew of the NEC/ISA development centre at Bruce in Canberra in the 90’s and many of their people were very active in CAUUG.

One note I’ve found described an “Imageware” project - though that name led me nowhere.

The only references to the NEC SDC I found were in the Queensland parliament Hansard.
I’d have expected some in the Federal Gov, related to Industry Development.

1988: An announcement by the National Party Govt, that never happened
	<https://documents.parliament.qld.gov.au/events/han/1988/1988_03_24.pdf>

1991: An announcement by the ALP of a joint venture with NEC & partners, managed by CITEC. Probably happened.
	[ text below ]
	<https://documents.parliament.qld.gov.au/events/han/1991/910418ha.pdf>

Graeme Poulton was, for 6 yrs, NEC/ISA managing director until October 1991.
There’s an advert in July 1989 for NEC Unix System LX/100 LxX200 LX/300 offering "3-yrs free parts & labour” warranty, but little else.

Does anyone know of any history of the NEC Unix SDC, formal, informal or included as a small part of a larger work?

Or better, a history of how Linux gained traction in the software & systems community in Australia.

regards
steve jenkin

====================

https://documents.parliament.qld.gov.au/events/han/1991/910418ha.pdf

Legislative Assembly 7395 18 April 1991

MINISTERIAL STATEMENT
Computer-based Attendant Console

Hon. R. T. McLEAN (Bulimba—Minister for Administrative Services) (10.15 a.m.), by leave:
    This Government has just signed a historic joint-development agreement with
	the electronics giant NEC,
	a local high-tech company ANSA,
	and CITR—the Centre for Information Technology Research at the University of Queensland.
    The consortium will develop a personal computer-based attendant console for use with the NEC PABX range.
    The Government's input is through CITEC—the Centre for Information Technology and Communications.
    We believe it is the first time such an agreement has been made in Australia.

Mr Borbidge interjected.

Mr McLEAN: The honourable member should wait a little while.
    The export potential is viewed as substantial.
    If the National Party runs true to form, it will claim that it lined up this project and all we are doing is taking a bow for its work.
    In 1987, NEC Japan decided to establish in Australia a software development centre—one of only three in the world.
    NEC Japan had a strong preference to site the facility in Canberra,
	but several State Governments vied for this attractive development.
    On 24 April 1988, the Minister for Industry, Small Business, Communications and Technology
	gave an undertaking in a press release that the Government would enter into joint-venture research with NEC.
    The company says that a major reason that it settled on Queensland was that commitment.
    In April 1989, it opened its development centre at Bowen Hills.
    But the National Party Government had no joint venture in the offing.
    In June, Premier Mike Ahern officially opened the development centre,
	but still the Government had failed to deliver.
    In fact, when the National Party Government was given the boot in December 1989,
	there was still no suggestion of any joint-development activity.

    The Minister responsible for that con trick was none other than our friend opposite, the poser from paradise
	—the same man who conned the Queensland public into paying Ansett more than $150,000 when it leased a plane from Paramount Airways during the pilots strike.
    The problem there was that the plane spent most of its time elsewhere.
    I am told that Paramount is an Ansett associate, anyway.
    It was not until March last year under the Goss Government that CITEC and NEC held a planning meeting from which the joint development evolved.
    Hopefully, this will have restored any loss of face which Queensland suffered in the eyes of the Japanese company for reneging on its promise between April 1988 and December 1989.

    The joint venture, together with various other initiatives involving CITEC,
	such as the Digital Software Research Centre,
	the Royal Hong Kong Jockey Club's gaming software centre
	and the Australian Supercomputing Network sponsored by Boeing,
    is evidence of a can-do mentality. This Government welcomes business——

Mr Borbidge: You wouldn't know a potato chip from a silicone chip.

Mr McLEAN: The honourable member has proved himself. This imposter from Surfers Paradise has been exposed on many occasions in this House.

Mr Cooper interjected.

Mr SPEAKER: Order! I ask the Leader of the Opposition to withdraw that statement; it is unparliamentary.
    I would like to hear the answer to the question.
    I state quite clearly to honourable members that during question-time I will apply Standing Orders.
    When I ask honourable members to cease interjecting, they will cease, otherwise Standing Orders will be applied.

Mr McLEAN: Thank you, Mr Speaker. I like interjections from the honourable member for Surfers Paradise.

Legislative Assembly 7396 18 April 1991

    When I took over this job, I remember the sneering looks and smart remarks that came from him.
    In common with Mr Gibbs, I am a person who is hurt very easily.
    We have feelings and it hurts.
    I visited computer companies both in Australia and overseas and inquired about Mr Borbidge's abilities. I assure him-—

Mr Borbidge: You went overseas?

Mr McLEAN: Yes. I assure him that his name does not carry any weight anywhere.
    People overseas thought that he was the greatest joke that ever represented a Government in this country.
    If I were him, I would hide under the seat.
    The Government welcomes businesses which have the ideas and willingness to explore new and mutually beneficial ventures with us,
	and it pledges to live up to its promises.

    Recently, at a function to sign the agreement, Graeme Poulton, managing director of NEC Information Systems Australia, said—

	"The Government's initiative in participating in this venture is encouraging to us in the commercial world."

    He said also—

	"Governments can do much to encourage local industry growth by supportive purchasing policies and by joint developments such as this."

    I can assure all businesses that this Government is offering exactly that encouragement.

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)

mailto:sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au http://members.tip.net.au/~sjenkin