[Auugps] ex-ADFA lecturer, Warren Toomey, wins USENIX award

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Thu Dec 8 08:28:29 AEDT 2022

Warren & The Unix Heritage Society should be well known to long term AUUG members.

His definitive collection of Unix kernel source played a pivotal role in the SCO case,
disproving the claim “lots of stuff copied”,
and also showing code from contributors, like UNSW’s “all faults fixed” kernel,
was included without attribution.

Warren, via TUHS, became the issuer of “Ancient Unix” licenses when Novell (IIRC)
allowed V6 code to be published again.

It’s worthwhile scrolling the list of awardees - Warren is in very fine company.

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)

mailto:sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au http://members.tip.net.au/~sjenkin